Punjabi Aam Ka Achaar or Mango Pickle is traditional regional recipe. Served mostly with parathas (Savoury Pancakes), it can also be enjoyed with traditional meals.
Punjabi Aam ka achaar is a spicy tangy tasty Punjabi pickle which is served with traditional Indian meals. Made with raw mangoes and a mix of spices in mustard oil, it makes for one of the favourite accompaniments. Oil acts both a flavouring agent as well as preservative. One of the most relished pickles of Punjab, it is widely consumed in the northern state of Punjab. Recipes vary with the individuals however most of them involve basic common ingredients like raw mangoes, Mustard Oil, and Mixture of Dry Spices.
Pickling Spice Mix for Mango Pickle
Dry spice mixture includes the following:
- Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
- Mustard Seeds (Rai)
- Nigella seeds (Kalonji)
- Fenugreek seeds (Methi dana)
- Black pepper (crushed)
- Carrom seeds (Ajwain)
- Red Chilli powder (coarsely ground)
- Turmeric powder
Our Traditional Punjabi Aam Ka Achaar Recipe
In most of the states the recipes are not complete without pickles and most of these recipes are passed down generations. This pickle is made in summers as the mangoes are plentiful. When the summers have started, the mangoes are unripe and that is when we make the Achaar. Also the weather is dry which is ideal for pickle making.
Steps to Make Mango Pickle
Here are the steps to make Aam Ka Aachar:
- Rub the mango pieces with Salt, Spices in jar and keep it in sunlight for 3-4 days.
- Pour hot mustard oil over the softened mango pieces. Ensure the mustard oil is heated till the smoking point.
- Keep in sunlight for 3-4 days.
- Store the jar in a cool dark place
- Enjoy the Pickle for years to come.
Storage Precautions for Punjabi Aam Ka Aachar
Shelf Life of the pickle can be enhanced by following the precautions:
- Store in a cool dry place to avoid the risk of Fungus.
- Cover it with Mustard Oil, which will not allow the fungus.
- Keep everything dry so as to prevent fungus to grow.
- Ensure to keep it submerged in Oil Always.
- Take out the excess oil when you are about to serve.
Raw Aam Ka Achaar Pickle Recipe
1 kg Raw mangoes
3 tablespoon fennel
1 tablespoon mustard
2 tbsps nigella seeds
2.5 tablespoon Fenugreek seeds
1 tablespoon black pepper ground
1 tablespoon Ajwain seeds carrom
5 tbsps red chilli coarsely ground
2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2.5 cups mustard oil
¼ cup salt
- Wash and dry mangoes so that they are free from moisture.
- Cut them into 4-6 pieces and let them dry over muslin cloth for 3-4 hours.
- Mix all spices just slightly pounded and spice powders along with salt.
- Rub all the spices over mango pieces and place them in a glass jar. Cover it with muslin cloth and place it out in sun for 2 days.
- Third day heat the mustard oil till smoke starts to emerge out of it. Switch off the heat and let the oil cool off completely.